Using Machine Translation for Translation and Audiovisual Translation, a Casestudy
Using Machine Translation for Translation and Audiovisual Translation, a Casestudy
For my master’s thesis, I carry out research on using machine translation for both the
translation of text and audiovisual translation. The aim of this research is to explore, describe, and
evaluate this translation tool to find an answer to the main research question: is machine translation
applicable to autonomously translate texts and audiovisual segments? By combining three different
methods – a literary review, a practical experiment, and an observation during my internship – the
aim is to implement methodological triangulation to be able to come to a conclusion that is wellfounded.
To examine machine translation for text and audiovisual content a division is made between
these two translation branches to properly carry out in-depth research per branch which is then
brought together to compare the results and draw a conclusion.
By comparing how machine translation is used for the two translation branches mentioned
above, it quickly becomes clear that the tool works in very different ways, depending on what kind of
content needs translating. This is because for the audiovisual translation an extra layer of complexity
is added as spoken language needs to be converted into written language before translation whereas
for the translation of written language this is not applicable. As it is a more complicated matter,
scientists have only started investigating it about thirty years ago even though the first research on
using machine translation for text stems from the 1930s. In addition to this, not many scientists have
ventured to do research on automated audiovisual translation which is why this practice is still
underdeveloped and very few sources can be found that show practical findings. This lack of research
and development makes using machine translation for audiovisual translation a very sophisticated
Not only the way machine translation works for the different translation branches differs, but
also the mistakes that can be found in its output. When evaluating the machine translation of text the
following main issues were found: consistency, meaning, and fluency. For the audiovisual translation,
the tool had more problems in regard to interpreting the spoken language correctly and completely,
and producing well-written and grammatically correct subtitles. This was mainly due to the nature of
spoken language, which is more colloquial and often contains linguistic structures that are not
acceptable in written language and therefore need to be rephrased in the subtitles. In general,
machine translation seemed to have issues in both translation branches with producing well-written
language that could have been written by a native speaker. All these mistakes machine translation
tools tend to commit show that machine translation can to this day not be used autonomously and
the interference of a professional and trained translator is necessary to guarantee a translation that
- About. (n.d.). Mo Gilligan. https://mogilligan.com/#about
- Álvarez, A., Mendes, C., Raffaelli, M., Luís, T., Paulo, S., Piccinini, N., Arzelus, H., Neto, J.,
- Aliprandi, C., & del Pozo, A. (2016). Automating live and batch subtitling of multimedia contents for
- several European languages. Multimedia Tools and Applications, 75(18), 10823–10853.
- Basari, A., Nugroho, R. A., Program, E. S., & Nuswantoro, U. D. (2017). the Use of Aegisub in
- Teaching Audiovisual Translation Classes : a Review on It-Based Subtitling Course. Elic2017, 49–56.
- BBC Comedy Greats. (2020, 9 augustus). Mo Gilligan Argues With A Teacher | Live At The
- Apollo | BBC Comedy Greats [Video]. YouTube.
- Bennett, J. (2021, 12 april). NASA’s Mars helicopter gets ready to make history. National
- Geographic. https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/nasa-mars-helicopter…-
- British Comedy Guide. (n.d.). Live At The Apollo - BBC2 Stand-Up.
- Brown, L. (2021, January 6th). 5 Best Free Automatic Subtitle Generators in 2020.
- Wondershare Filmora. https://filmora.wondershare.com/video-editing-tips/best-automatic-subti….
- Bywood, L., Georgakopoulou, P., & Etchegoyhen, T. (2017). Embracing the threat: machine
- translation as a solution for subtitling. Perspectives: Studies in Translatology, 25(3), 492–508.
- Comedy Central. (2015, 9 februari). Iliza Shlesinger - Lying Brian - This Is Not Happening -
- Uncensored [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGCQV48dSf4
- Cultures Connection. (2020, August 11th). 8 different types of translation services.
- Dawson, H. (2019). Feasibility, Quality and Assessment of Interlingual Live Subtitling. Journal
- of Audiovisual Translation, 2(2), 36–56. https://doi.org/10.47476/jat.v2i2.72
- Directive (EU) 2018/1808 Of The European Parliament And Of The Council. (2018, November
- 28th). European Commission. https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legalcontent/
- Doulaty, M., Saz, O., Ng, R., & Hain, T. (2016). Automatic Genre and Show Identification of
- Broadcast Media. Proceedings of the 17th Annual Conference of the International Speech
- Communication Association (Interspeech), 780–781. https://doi.org/10.21437/Interspeech.2016
- Hickey, S. (2021, 11 april). Your new (tax) year resolution . . . give your finances a spring clean.
- The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/money/2021/apr/11/your-new-tax-year-resolut…-
- Hutchins, J. (2003). The development and use of machine translation systems and computerbased
- translation tools. International Journal of Translation, 15(1), 5–26.
- Hutchins, J. W. (2015). Machine translation: History of Research and Applications. Routledge
- Encyclopedia of Translation Technology. http://www.hutchinsweb.me.uk/Routledge-2014.pdf
- Iliza Shlesinger. (n.d.). Greenhousetalent.
- Katholieke Universiteit Leuven. (z.d.). AWA Schrijfhulp. AWA Schrijfhulp.
- Khanmohammad, H., & Osanloo, M. (2009). Moving toward Objective Scoring: A Rubric for
- Translation Assessment. 1(1), 131–153.
- Krüger, R. (2016). Contextualising Computer-Assisted Translation Tools and Modelling Their
- Usability. Trans-Kom - Journal of Translation and Technical Communication Research, 9(1), 114–148.
- KU Leuven, vrt, & De Standaard. (z.d.). Schrijfassistent. Schrijfassistent.
- Legal Templates. (2020, 12 november). Sales Agreement Form: Free Sales Contract Template.
- Long, A., & Long, B. (2021). Hemingway Editor. Hemingway Editor.
- Lopez, A. (2008). Statistical machine translation. ACM Computing Surveys, 40(3), 1–49.
- Medina, A. (2021, 17 maart). Seconds ‘til the Revolution. Reedsy.
- Munday, J. (2013). Introducing Translation Studies Theories and Applications. In Journal of
- Chemical Information and Modeling (Vol. 53, Issue 9).
- Nino, A. (2009). Machine Translation in Foreign Language Learning: Language Learners’ and
- Tutors’ Perceptions of Its Advantages and Disadvantages. ReCALL, 21(2), 241–258.
- Okpor, M. D. (2014). Machine Translation Approaches: Issues and Challenges. International
- Journal of Computer Science Issues, 11(5), 159–165. www.IJCSI.org
- Peng, H. (2018). The Impact of Machine Translation and Computer-aided Translation on
- Translators. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 322(5).
- Piñero, R. B., & Cintas, J. D. (2015). Audiovisual Translation in a Global Context. In Audiovisual
- Translation in a Global Context. https://doi.org/10.1057/9781137552891_1
- Rodríguez-Castro, M. (2018). An integrated curricular design for computer-assisted translation
- tools: developing technical expertise. Interpreter and Translator Trainer, 12(4), 355–374.
- Romero-fresco, P., & Pöchhacker, F. (2017). Quality assessment in interlingual live subtitling:
- The NTR model. 6(Themes in Translation Studies), 149–167.
- Sreelekha, S., Bhattacharyya, P., Jha, S. K., & Malathi, D. (2016). A survey report on evolution
- of machine translation. International Journal of Control Theory and Applications, 9(Specialissue33),
- SWOT Analysis: How to Develop a Strategy For Success. (n.d.). Mind Tools.
- Talaván, N., & Ávila-Cabrera, J. J. (2021). Creating collaborative subtitling communities to
- increase access to audiovisual materials in academia. Interpreter and Translator Trainer, 00(00), 1–18.
- Waddington, C. (2001). Different Methods of Evaluating Student Translations: The Question
- of Validity. Meta, 46(2), 311–325. https://doi.org/10.7202/004583ar
- Wang, X., Lu, Z., Tu, Z., Li, H., Xiong, D., & Zhang, M. (2017). Neural machine translation advised
- by statistical machine translation. 31st AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence, AAAI 2017, 3330–
- Wigmore, I. (2013, October 27th). Gartner hype cycle. WhatIs.com.
- YouTube Official Blog. (2008). Auto-translate now available for videos with captions. Retrieved
- from http://youtubeukblog.blogspot.co.uk/2008/11/auto-translate-now-availabl…. html
- Zuckerman, E. (2008). The polyglot Internet. Retrieved from
- http://www.ethanzuckerman.com/ blog/the-polyglot-internet